Much of the snow has now thawed with the exception of a few sporadic spots across the highest of summits leaving Lakeland feeling rather mild in the valleys as we approach the weekend. With the mild temperatures came low cloud which put a dampener on David's planned Comb walk which yet again had to be cancelled.
Eagerly we watched the forecast materialise over Thursday and Friday which only got worse which then forced us to ditch one of my Outlying walks on the Crookdale Horseshoe, a walk which may have suited the unfavourable conditions but also a walk over favoured territory for yours truly, I really wanted a fair weather day for Crookdale.
By 10:00am Friday morning our plan B had been written off and it was left up in the air for the next hour or so whether we would be walking at all when Rod e-mailed and suggested this route, a walk that ranked high by both David and Rod, so high in fact both David and Rod had chosen it as their best from 2016.
A route that would see us keep well below the cloud base whilst taking in unfamiliar Outlying territory for myself which as it happened, provided a sense of knowledge in an area of Lakeland I don't visit as often as I should.